It is an area of dentistry that deals with the assessment, prevention and correction of misaligned teeth and jaws.
At the Cosmetic Dental Studio we offer many orthodontic services for all ages. If you are not lucky enough to have developed straight teeth, we can help you and your children realize that dream.
Functional habits include thumb/dummy sucking, mouth breathing and tongue thrust. They all contribute to the unfavorable growth of the jaws. Oral habits can commonly cause the upper front teeth to stick out and can contribute to speech problems. The best way to intercept a habit is to first make certain that the child has a proper size airway and can breath through the nose. In cases where there are serious allergies, swollen adenoids or tonsils, a referral to an Ear, Nose & Throat Specialist is necessary. After airway considerations are addressed a habit- breaking appliance could be made to stop the oral habit.
We feel that children should be evaluated by the age of 7 to see if there is a bone problem (orthopedic) or a tooth problem (orthodontic).
Early interceptive orthodontic treatment usually starts before the eruption of the permanent teeth or when the child has very few permanent teeth present. Our goal is to guide the growth of the upper and/or lower jaw to make adequate space for the eruption of all the permanent teeth.
Other benefits of early treatment:
- Improve profiles, smiles and self-esteem
- Correct harmful habits, such as thumb sucking and tongue thrusting.
- Improved speech
- Reduction of the time in fixed braces and frequently eliminates the need for the extraction of permanent teeth
- Increases nasal breathing which improves general health
- Creates beautiful broad smiles by developing the arches
- Eliminates grinding of the teeth at night
- Prevents headaches and earaches